Okay, after years of searching, I stumbled upon the best earphones for my iPod --- for me.
They are the Koss P-9 In-Ear Headphones. They're actually earphones - no padding around the ear.
Here's why they're so great:
- They stay in my ears. The regular Apple earbuds do not stay in, especially on my left ear. My ear canal must be shaped a little weird or something. But these Koss earphones stay in.
- Great sound. They're Koss.
- Easy to put on and off. You can tell which one is left/right just by the shape, no need to look for "L" and "R."
- Cheap. Amazon has them for only $10 plus shipping.
- Fits people with funny ear lobes. My wife has a hard time clipping earphones over the top of her ear, but these fit her fine.
- Widely available. I actually bought them at Radio Shack, but it seems like Amazon's price is better.
- Cord is the right length. I am kind of tall, so sometimes I get these earphones with short cords that don't allow me to have the iPod in my fanny pack, but this cord is just the right length.
I think the iPod earbug crisis has been solved. I can listen to my music without worrying about the earbuds falling out while I'm mowing the lawn or bending over to pick a weed. These suckers stay in.
I haven't really found a downside. I'll let you know in a future post if they crap out on me for any reason.
Way to go, Koss!